corner tag

Keblinger

Keblinger
justduckie

Fuzzy Logic
Banner by justduckie

Summary: “We have met the enemy, and he is a glasses-wearing, NPR-listening vegan.” A love triangle, of sorts.



“Jake, who’s that chatting up your woman?”

Seth’s tiny legs have almost carried him to the horde at the practice ring.

I snort. “Hey, it’s no business of mine. She’s not my wom--”

“I don’t mean Miss Fancypants on the A-frame. There’s a guy over there. On the bench with Bella. I’ve never seen him before.”

What?

Shit. Neither have I. Which makes this an automatic DEFCON 3 situation.

I scramble to my feet. Don’t panic, keep it cool. “Um, thanks for the stick, Paul. See you around, guys.”

Who the hell is that?

I’m down the hill in seconds, barreling through obstacles both two- and four-legged. I barely avoid toppling two ladies near the weave poles and run flat out for Bella’s bench, skidding to a stop in front of her. My eyes travel quickly between Bella and this stranger, who is sitting way too close for my comfort.

“Hi, sweetie.” Bella ruffles the fur between my ears. “Where are you going in such a hurry? I saw Embry and Leah’s family a little while ago. Have you found them yet?”

I pant wildly, searching her face for signs of distress. I’m here. Are you all right? Is he bothering you?

There’s nervous energy rolling off her, but it isn’t scared, exactly.

“Oh, is this one yours? Wow, he’s stunning.”

I swivel and plant my butt in the dirt, facing the stranger. He’s turned sideways on the bench, in almost a mirror image of Bella’s posture. I’d put him at about my age, between three and four dog years. He’s clearly tall, but on the skinny side, and he’s wearing those heavy-rimmed glasses that are either supposed to be cool or ironically cool, I can’t remember which.

And apparently, I’m not the only one who rode here with his head out the car window. I can think of no other explanation for that hairstyle.

“Yep, this is Jake. Jake, say hello to Edward. He’s just moved here.”

“Hey there, Jake. Very nice to meet you.” He smiles broadly and extends a hand, palm up, towards us. He makes no move to touch me. Maybe I’m not the one he’d rather pet.

A rumble of warning reverberates deep inside my chest at the mere suggestion. I curl my lip back and let my teeth do the talking.

If you lay a finger on her, Edwin, I will go Hong Kong Phooey on your weedy ass.

~+~+~

2 comments:

{ alby } at: October 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM said...

Perfect! I'm so glad to be involved in this compilation and getting to read the rest of this! Cheers :)

{ ~Elli~Iris~ } at: November 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM said...

Ah sooooo cool! And Funny. As my Dog's name is Jake ;-) Glad to see you writing Duckie!!! A cool story for MAL and Leo. ;-)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Teasers for Mal & Leo